If you’re moving to Australia, you’ll probably already be thinking about how you’re going to say goodbye to your friends and family. That subject was on my mind from the moment we decided we were going to make the move abroad because I knew it was going to be one of the hardest things I was ever going to have to do.
Organising your Australia themed leaving party feels like an impossible task on top of everything else you’re trying to do but, at some point, you’re going to need to organise something so you can say goodbye to everybody.
If you’re struggling with your overwhelming to-do list, check out my Ultimate Emigration Checklist!
This post contains compensated links.
This article covers the following:
- Planning your Australia farewell party
- Getting the details just right at your Australian leaving party
- Nail the Australia themed leaving party with the details
- Planning your leaving party venue
- Australia themed party ideas
Planning your Australia farewell party
Short on time? Get my leaving party planning toolkit!
Whether you plan your whole Australia leaving party yourself, or you ask a friend or family member to plan the Australian party decorations, Australia cake and props (which really takes the pressure off), read on to learn how you can make sure your Australia leaving party is an event to remember.
Keep your Australia farewell party as simple as possible because everyone will be emotional. But keeping it simple doesn’t mean you can’t go a bit crazy with the Australian party details – it can be really quick and easy to pull it all together with one quick, inexpensive Amazon order.
Having an Australia themed party really helped to bring our family and friends together to celebrate with us and it gave us a chance to spend some time with the people we loved before we made the move to Australia. It was a really important part of the process of moving and leaving our lives behind. As my hubby and I are from two different parts of the UK, we had leaving parties in both locations so that people didn’t have to travel too far to see us. We just reused the leaving party decorations at both events!
Grab yourself some fun Australian party props, throw in some Australian themed party food and put up some leaving party decorations and some Australia themed party decorations and you will have created the perfect emigration send-off.
Getting the details just right at your Australian leaving party
I feel well qualified to help you plan your Australia themed party because I worked in event and project management for years before we moved to Australia. One of my roles in the UK involved planning sponsored parties for major television channels including Channel 4, the BBC and the Discovery Channel to name a few. The main thing I learned during my time planning parties was that although a great venue really helps, the real trick is in the details. That is what people will remember. It’s all about the branding, so make sure you get your Australian themed party decorations just right!
Nail the Australia themed leaving party with the details
I’ve collated this leaving party shopping list for you to save you time.
Australia leaving party invitations
You can set the tone of the party by sending out themed leaving party invitations. You don’t need to spend a fortune. You can easily pick something like these up on Amazon.
Australia table decorations
Confetti is an easy way to decorate tables – just scatter it around the buffet table and the drinks tables. Get your Australia confetti here.
Flags are always fun at parties – the kids will love them. Buy Australian flags now from Amazon
Leaving party decorations
Bunting is an easy decoration to stick on walls or to hang around the buffet table. Buy now from Amazon.
Who doesn’t need an inflatable kangaroo at their Aussie themed party?! Get it now from Amazon
To go with the kangaroo, of course you also need a croc too. Get your inflatable crocodile here.
An inflatable beach ball adds a beachy theme. Buy a beach ball here.
A selfie frame makes a great addition to the party because it means you can capture photos of all of your friends and family. Get them to post their pictures to social media using a chosen hashtag and you’ll be able to see everyone’s shots. Buy it now from Amazon
Australia leaving party banner and Australia balloons are an easy way to decorate your venue. Check out prices on Amazon
If you’re short on time, this Australian parties bundle of Australian decorations is a winner. Get it here.
Australian cake decorations in the UK
It’s not hard to get Australian cake toppers and Australian themed cake decorations in the UK. Amazon has lots to choose from. Get them from Amazon
This is a night to remember for the rest of your lives, so don’t forget to get a scrapbook and pass it around on the night so friends and family can leave you a good luck message. I admit, it took me three months before I felt strong enough to read the messages without crying my eyes out but I treasure our leaving party signing book. Check it out on Amazon
Australian flag dress UK
Next up it’s time to invest in your Australia party dress! Get your Australian flag party dress here.
Australian party food
This post has some amazing ideas for Aussie party food. But the easiest of all has to be Fairy Bread. What is Fairy Bread, I hear you cry? Well, it’s just white bread, buttered and covered in sprinkles. Seriously, Aussies go crazy for it and you won’t find a kids party without it. You also can’t get much more Aussie than a sausage sizzle, so fire up a bbq, grab a loaf of white bread and some ketchup (but remember to call it red sauce because you’re heading to Aus and everyone still laughts at me when I ask for ketchup over here!) and you’ve got a super simple Aussie meal.
Planning your leaving party venue
You’ve sorted the leaving party decorations, next you need to decide on a venue your leaving party. There are lots of things to consider.
Hosting a party at somebody’s home
If you’ve decided to have your leaving party at your home or someone else’s home, these are some questions to ask:
- Can you fit everybody in?
- What will you do if it rains?
- Who is providing the food?
- Will you need to buy paper plates, plastic cutlery and paper party cups?
- Can you play music?
- Will you bring in any entertainment?
Hiring a venue
If you’re hiring a venue for your Australia leaving party, here is a list of questions to consider:
- How many people will be attending and can you comfortably fit your guests within the fire limit of the room?
- Does the venue have indoor and outdoor areas?
- Are the outdoor areas under cover?
- Can you bring your own catering or is their catering option affordable?
- Can you bring in alcohol, will you have a paying bar for guests or will you put some money behind the bar to buy people a round of drinks?
- Does the venue have any access issues for any of your guests – stairs without a lift which might make it difficult for elderly guests etc.?
- Can you bring in any entertainment (if this is something you want)? Music? Fun activities for the kids to do? Face painters? Bouncy castle hire?
- If you are expecting a lot of children, is the venue suitable for this – is the outdoor area fenced in?
- Where and when will the food be served?
- How early can you access the venue to set up?
- How much time will you have to close down the party?
- What date do they need you to confirm numbers by?
- How much deposit is required and when do you need to pay the balance?
- What day of the week will suit everybody the best – Do you want people to come on their weekend off or head over straight after work on a week day?
- Is the room available when you want it?
Australia themed party ideas
Your guest will love it if you make a bit of effort and brand you Aussie leaving party with relevant Australian party decorations and party banners. It will be so much fun for everyone and it really doesn’t need to cost much to throw in some Australian party novelties, Australian props and Australian party food to make your Australian themed party one to remember.